Friday 15 November 2013

5 Questions with... Jane Gowans Jewellery

Jewellery design has always been something that has fascinated me. I love how something so seemingly simple, can have such a dramatic affect on a photograph or outfit. I admire those who are talented at it too. Especially since I don't appear to bear such creative attributes. At all. However Jane Gowans certainly does. I have been a fan of her work since I saw one of her pieces in i-D magazine, and was overjoyed when she agreed to do an interview with me. Here it is:

Have you always wanted to be a Jeweller?

No. I have always wanted to work in a creative career but it wasn't until I started the General Course at Duncan of Jordanstone that I realised that I wanted to work in a tactile and 3 dimensional discipline- Jewellery seemed to be the logical choice.

Is there any particular moment in your career that you are most proud of?

I am still extremely proud to have made the earrings on Emeli Sande's album cover, gained Harvey Nichols as a stockist and been named as one of the jewellery industries Hot 100.



 

 

 Wow. That's amazing. Where do you tend to gain inspiration for your Designs?

  My inspiration comes from everyday places. Whether it is the humble matchstick, my local landscape or wildlife. It is my aim to make the ordinary into the extraordinary. I transform my inspirations into precious metal pieces that can be cherished for a lifetime.


A lot of your jewellery has been showcased in magazines and used for shoots. How does it feel to have your work so valued and recognized?

It is always lovely to see my pieces being styled by other people and it is a huge boost to pick up a publication and see your hard work featured in its pages.

Any advice for aspiring Jewelers and Designers?

Don't give up. You can achieve anything you want to.



Check out Jane's work here.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment