Monday 6 January 2014

Looking after curly hair


'You're so lucky', 'I love your hair' 'omg is that it natural?'. Really? It just feels like a sheep on my head to me. It's a pain to look after, constantly gets tangled and the second it comes into contact with humidity... BOOM! You have an afro. But we're stuck with it, and may as well make the most of it. So to all you curly haired ladies (and men?) out there, you are most certainly not alone. I have scoured boots the country for products that not only tame, but make the most of natural curls. I have also picked up a few handy tips to, and plan on revealing my secrets to you.

                                                     Leave-in Conditioner

It goes without saying that a wash-out conditioner is an essential for those with curly, or even just dry hair. But leave-in conditioners are often over looked. I find that nothing keeps my hair soft and keeps my curls relaxed like they do. Specifically 'it's a 10'. This product took the beauty world by a storm last year and when I was in the states this year I had to pick it up. Never have I looked back. I think they now stock these in some chemists here, but if not then they are surely available online.











Curl Cream

Whenever I go to the hairdressers, they always straighten my hair. Nice as it is, it would also be nice to see how a professional dealt with my curly mop. On the odd occasion that one did, he put me on to this product. Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream is an intense moisturiser for you curls. It hydrates them within an inch of there life leaving your curls bouncy and shiny. This product means I can wear my hair natural a lot of the time. Thumbs up.












Hair Oil

This is a good must have for all hair types. Hair oil, keeps hair looking shiny and prevents dreaded fluffiness. I like it in curly hair as it adds shine to the curls making them stand out. I also find that my hair is quite dry, so oil keeps it looking healthy too. Definitely avoid this if you are prone to greasy hair though, it will only accentuate natural oils.













Tips

1. Don't brush! Use your fingers to comb through your hair instead. Brushing + curls = FRIZZ.
2. Use an old t-shirt to dry your hair rather than a towel. Using a towel will damage hair ends.
3. Stop straightening. Be proud of your natural curls. Straighteners only make your hair naturally more curly and frizzy anyway.


xo


2 comments: